A Viking electric cooktop is a high-end appliance that can add elegance and convenience to your kitchen. However, even the most well-built appliances can experience issues over time.
If your electric cooktop needs repairs, you may wonder if you should try to tackle the problem yourself or call a pro. This article will help you decide by enumerating common cooktop problems and explaining the importance of expert Viking Electric cooktop repair and maintenance.
Common Viking Cooktop Problems
Before attempting any Viking cooktop repair, it is important to identify the problem with your Viking cooktop. Here are some common issues you may experience:
- Burners not heating up: One of the most common problems with electric cooktops is when the burners fail to heat up. This could be caused by a malfunctioning burner element or switch, a faulty wiring connection, or a blown fuse.
- Burners heating up too much or not enough: If the burners on the cooktop are heating up too much or not enough, this could be due to a damaged temperature sensor or a faulty thermostat. It could also be caused by a damaged burner element or switch.
- Sparks or electric shocks: Sparks or electric shocks in your Viking electric cooktop could be a sign of a faulty wiring connection. It could also be due to a damaged power cord or a damaged switch.
- Uneven heating: If the heat on the cooktop is uneven, this could be due to warped or damaged cookware. However, it could sometimes be caused by a malfunctioning element or switch.
- Error codes: Sometimes, error codes may appear on the display of your Viking electric cooktop. This could be due to a malfunctioning control board or a faulty sensor.
These are only general issues you could experience with a Viking electric cooktop. Viking appliances have complex components, and you may encounter more complicated issues related to this.
What you have to take into account is whether you would opt for a DIY repair or a professional Viking electric cooktop repair service, safety precautions are essential. Electric components in Viking electric cooktops can be dangerous to handle.
DIY Viking Electric Cooktop Repair
If you’re a DIY repair enthusiast, learning how to fix issues in your Viking cooktop must be daunting. The good news is that you may actually perform several Viking electric cooktop maintenance and repair steps. Here are some examples:
- Replacing a burner: If one of your burners is not working, you can try replacing the element or switch yourself. Be sure to cut off power to your cooktop before attempting any repairs and test your cooktop after replacement.
- Cleaning the cooktop: Sometimes, all your Viking cooktop needs is a good cleaning. Use a cooktop cleaner and a soft cloth to remove any dirt or grime. Make sure you use safe and mild cleaning products to avoid unexpected damage on the cooktop surface.
- Leveling the cooktop: If your cooktop is not level, you can try adjusting the leveling feet yourself. Be sure to use a level to confirm your cooktop is even and that you are satisfied with its position.
- Replacing the radiant element: The radiant element in your Viking cooktop can be busted due to normal wear and tear, impact damage, and power surge. You can do the replacement yourself as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cleaning the knobs and control panel: Cleaning your cooktop knobs and control panel should not be as challenging when you follow safety precautions. Make sure to turn off the cooktop, gently remove the knobs and replace everything only when clean and dry.
While it’s true you can do simple repair and maintenance steps for your Viking cooktop, it’s also important to know your limit and identify problems that require expertise. In these situations, you should know that a professional Viking electric cooktop service is what you need.
When to Call in an Expert?
Problems in your Viking electric cooktop can come from minor to major issues, and major problems require expert hands. Here are some examples of situations when you need to call an expert.
- Electrical issues: If your Viking electric cooktop is not heating or has an electrical problem, it will typically be due to wiring issues. It’s best to call a professional Viking electric cooktop wiring repair to have them handled by a qualified appliance repair technician.
- Strange noises: Strange noises during the operation of your electric cooktop may involve internal damage and malfunctions, such as a broken fan or blower. This requires an inspection from a professional with the necessary tools to disassemble your unit.
- Faulty controls: If the controls on the cooktop are malfunctioning or not responding properly, this may require a replacement of the control panel. Problems like this should be solved by an expert who has access to genuine Viking parts.
- Burner problems: Electric cooktop burners not heating up properly or working at all may be due to faulty connection or damaged wiring. It’s best to hire a professional Viking electric cooktop repair wiring to ensure the safety of your unit.
- Warranty repairs: If your Viking cooktop is still under warranty, it is best to have any repairs done by a qualified technician. This avoids voiding the warranty and costing you more money for outside repairs.